Administrative Headquarters

Location of the Administrative Headquarters

The Court of Auditors has two administrative headquarters:

  • The building of the main headquarters of the Court of Auditors is on Fuencarral, 81, Madrid.  Property of the Directorate General of State Assets and assigned to the Court of Auditors.
  • It also has another headquarters on Padre Damián 19, Madrid. Property of the Directorate General of State Assets and assigned to the Court of Auditors. 

The headquarters building of the Court is a palace dating from the second half of the 19th Century, designed by Francisco Jareño y Alarcón.

The building was constructed on a site previously occupied by the Casa Palacio del Conde de Aranda, which was subsequently bought by Fernando VII and converted into the Royal Guards Barracks and later Quinta del Conde de Vocinquerra de Arcos.

Although it is a building that undoubtedly reflects the architecture of the time, it is one of the least classic works by Jareño; just compare it with his two great works, the initial project of the National Library or the today disappeared National Mint, located in the Plaza de Colón.

It was built between 1860 and 1863, far from the conventional classical style of the time, opting for a building with clean volumes and the compact presence of wall with decorative elements of great sobriety.

Its floor covers the entire block and is structured around a central courtyard that repeats the trapezoidal shape of the block. Its elevations have a very uniform composition on all four sides, only altered in its east and west façades, coinciding with the central sections and the two carriage entrances.

It consists of a ground floor and four more floors. A ground floor raised over a basement, one main floor and two floors more (one roofed area) prolonged over the ledge topping the building originally. The top floor of the present building was added in the twentieth century.

From the town planning perspective, the property enjoys a unique protection and is part of the historical landmarks of the city of Madrid.